Registration Renewal and ID Cards Vehicle Services

Registration Renewal

Renewal with Notice and No Changes Renewal with Address Change

Renewal with Name Change
To change a name on a registration, you must change the name on the title first. An application for corrected title must be completed and submitted to the Secretary of State's office. See more on corrected titles.

Renewal without Notice
The renewal notice is sent out as a courtesy reminder and it is the motorist's responsibility to ensure that vehicle registration is current. If you have lost or did not receive your notice, you have several options.

Renewal with Vehicle Information Change

Registration ID Cards

The Registration ID card is located on the Vehicle Registration Renewal Notice you may have received in the mail. It contains your personal vehicle information that is documented with the Secretary of State's office, your mailing address and the State Seal.

Illinois law requires the registration ID card to be carried in all second-division vehicles weighing more than 8,000 pounds. Because some of our neighboring states require the ID card to be carried in all vehicles, we suggest that all Illinois motorists carry the ID cards in their vehicles.

You must obtain a corrected or duplicate ID card if:

You must fill out the form Application for Vehicle Transaction(s) (VSD 190). The Electronic Registration and Title (ERT) System allows you to complete and print an Application for Vehicle Transaction(s) (VSD 190) online. Alternatively, you may visit a Secretary of State facility or contact our office at 800-252-8980 (toll free in Illinois) or 217-785-3000 (outside Illinois) to obtain a form. You may submit a form with the appropriate fee to:
Illinois Secretary of State
Vehicle Services Department
501 S. 2nd. St., Rm. 011
Springfield, IL 62756-6666