Title and Registration FAQ Vehicle Services


Do I qualify for a discount on my registration under Benefit Access Program provisions?
The Illinois Department on Aging handles the Benefit Access Program, please see the Benefit Access Program page for more information.

How can I change my address on the vehicle registration?
There is no fee to change an address unless a corrected registration identification card is requested, which costs $3.00.

I didn't receive a pre-printed license plate renewal form. How can I renew my license plates?
The license plate registration renewal notice is sent out as a courtesy reminder, and it is the driver's responsibility to ensure that their annual license plate sticker is current. Pre-printed license plate renewal forms are sent as a courtesy reminder to motorists and are not required to renew your license plates. Please see renew your registration for more information.

My pre-printed renewal form has the wrong vehicle information. How do I renew the registration
You may line out the incorrect information on the application and write in the new information. Please see renew your registration for more information.

I mailed my registration fee but my sticker has not yet arrived. What should I do?
It is important to allow a minimum of 30 days for processing of your registration renewal after mailing. All renewal applications received by this office are prioritized and processed in expiration date order. For example, if your registration sticker expires the last day of April and you mailed your renewal form and fee in February, priority will still be given to March expirations. Processing time may therefore take longer than the 30 days. Normally, all renewal stickers for registrations expiring at the end of a month are mailed out by the 22nd. If you do not receive your renewal sticker prior to the last week of its expiration, call 800-252-8980 to inquire about the status.

My registration sticker is expired. How can I renew and get a sticker fast?
Please see renew your registration for more information.

How do I apply for replacement license plates/sticker?
You may visit a Secretary of State facility or you may submit an Application for Vehicle Transaction(s) (VSD 190) (available at your local Secretary of State facility) by mail to:
Illinois Secretary of State
Vehicle Services Department
501 S. 2nd. St., Rm. 011
Springfield, IL 62756-6666
For replacement fees, refer to the fees page.

How do I apply for a duplicate registration card?
Please see registration ID cards for more information.

Sales Tax

Is an individual required to pay sales tax when either purchasing a vehicle or being given a vehicle from a relative?
Yes, the RUT-50 sales tax form must be completed and submitted with the title and/or registration application. The RUT-50 sales tax form is available at your local Secretary of State facility. For applicable tax amounts, contact the Illinois Department of Revenue at 800-732-8866.


How do I apply for license plates?
Please see Apply for Title and Registration for more information.

How do I track an ERT document that I sent to the Secretary of State?
To track the progress of an ERT document that has already been created through the titling process, visit Electronic Registration and Title Status Inquiry.

What type of vehicle must be titled and registered?
Off-road motorcycles and ATVs are titled but are not registered. Pop-up campers and all other kinds of campers that are pulled behind a vehicle are both titled and registered. Slide-in campers or pop-up campers that are affixed to the vehicle or part of the vehicle are neither titled or registered. Anything that is driven (cars, trucks, RV's, motorcycles, mopeds, motorized bicycles) or anything that is pulled (RT's, pop-ups, 5th wheels, trailers of all kinds and sizes) on the roads is titled and licensed. Snowmobiles, jet-skis, boats less than 16 feet, and boats over 16 feet are handled by the Illinois Department of Natural Resources. They can be contacted at 217-782-2138.

How do I register a vehicle that already has an Illinois title?
If you register within six months of the original sale date, you must title and register the vehicle and pay tax starting from the sale date. For example, if the vehicle was purchased on September 1 and title and registered on October 30, you receive a September expiration sticker. If you register at least six months after the date of purchase, the expiration sticker you would receive would be the day you registered. For example, if the vehicle was purchased September 1 and you titled and registered it on April 15, you would receive an April expiration sticker. If a titled vehicle has been stored for one year or more, the vehicle's expiration sticker is the month you registered it. For example, if the vehicle was stored in February 2004 and removed from storage in March 2005, the renewal sticker would expire in March of the next year.

Can an individual pick up the title in Springfield?
No. Illinois law requires that the title be mailed to the first lienholder named in the title, or if none, to the owner.

What do I need to apply for a certificate of title for my vehicle?
You need a title application, $155 title fee, applicable tax form, and a surrendered title or manufacturer's certificate of origin signed to you by the seller. Other supporting documents may be required by this Office. More information on applying for title and registration.

How do I apply for a duplicate or lost vehicle title?
Please see Duplicate Title for more information.

How much does a certificate of title cost? Please see Fees for more information.

If I want to remove a name from the title due to divorce or death, how do I get title in my name?
Please see Corrected Title for more information.

When I am selling my vehicle to another individual, do I have to have my title?
Yes, the certificate of title must be signed in the Assignment of Title area to the individual purchasing the vehicle. Federal and state law requires that the title indicate the signed and printed names of all the sellers and buyers, certifying the odometer reading as the actual mileage on the vehicle's odometer, in excess of the odometer's mechanical limitations or not the actual mileage.

A vehicle was left on my property and I do not know the owner. Can I get title in my name?
No, you must contact your local law enforcement or a towing company to remove the vehicle.