Tinted Windows License Plates Guide
Definition (625 ILCS 5/12-503): “A person owning and operating a motor vehicle, who is determined by a physician licensed to practice medicine and is afflicted with or suffers from medical disease such as systemic or discoid lupus erythematosus, disseminated superficial actinic porokeratosis or albinism, which would require that person to be shielded from the direct rays of the sun is entitled to operate said vehicle with tinted windows. This exception also applies to a vehicle used in transporting a person when the person resides at the same address as the registered owner and the person is afflicted with or suffering from a qualifying medical condition”. However, no exemption from the requirements of subsection (a-5) shall be granted for any condition, such as light sensitivity, for which protection from the direct rays of the sun can be adequately obtained by the use of sunglasses or other eye protective devices.
*For any electric vehicle that would like a Tinted Windows license plate on their vehicle there will be an additional $100 surcharge to the registration.
FeesRandom-Number License Plates Fees
- Newly acquired vehicle/first-time issuance - $306 ($155 title fee + $151 registration fee)
- Currently titled vehicle/first-time issuance - $151 ($151 registration fee)
- Current plates expire within 90 days - $180 ($151 registration fee + $29 replacement fee)
- Current plates do not expire within 90 days - $29 ($29 replacement fee)
- Annual renewal - $151 ($151 registration fee)
- The owner must obtain a certified statement or letter written by a licensed physician. The certification must be carried in the vehicle at all times. The owner must also submit a copy of the certification or letter to the Secretary of State’s Office and in turn display a Window Tint License Plate. The certification must be renewed every four years by the physician and a copy must accompany the license plate renewal application ever year. Tinted Window Certification.
- The request can only be processed in Springfield. Mail all required documentation and the $29 replacement fee to:
Secretary of State
Special Plates Division
501 S. Second St., Rm. 520
Springfield, Illinois 62756
- The Secretary of State’s Office will accept the following medical conditions from a licensed physician: Systemic Lupus Erythematosus, Discoid Lupus Erythematosus, Albinism, Lupus Erythematosus, Disseminated Superficial actinic porokeratosis or Xeroderma Pigmentosum.