Women Veterans License Plates Guide
Public Act 625 ILCS 5/3-506 allows transfer of plates to spouses of military service members. "Upon the death of a military service member who has been issued plates the surviving spouse of that service member may retain the plate so long as that spouse is a resident of Illinois and transfers the registration to his or her name within 180 days of the death of the service member".
*For any electric vehicle that would like a Women Veterans license plate on their vehicle there will be an additional $100 surcharge to the registration.
Standard License Plates
- Newly acquired vehicle/first-time issuance - $306 ($155 title fee + $151 registration fee)
- Currently titled vehicle/first-time issuance - $151 ($151 registration fee)
- Current plates expire within 90 days - $151 ($151 registration fee + $0 replacement fee)
- Current plates do not expire within 90 days - $0 ( $0 replacement fee)
- Annual renewal - $151 ($151 registration fee)
- One must provide a legible copy of a DD214 (discharge from military service)verifying military service or a letter from the Illinois Department of Veterans' Affairs or the federal government verifying service record.
The request can only be processed in Springfield. Apply in person or mail the proper documentation to:
Secretary of State
501 S. 2nd St.
Howlett Building, Room 541
Springfield, Illinois 62756
- Women Veterans license plates are multi-year and may be displayed on passenger vehicles, trucks and vans weighing 8,000 pounds or less and sport utility vehicles.
- Eligible for Benefit Access Program