Silver Star License Plates Guide
Silver Star License Plates may be issued to any Illinois resident who has been awarded the Silver Star medal while serving in any capacity with the U.S. Armed Forces after December 6, 1941. A surviving spouse may obtain a set of plates.
Public Act 625 ILCS 5/3-506 allows transfer of plates to spouses of military service members. "Upon the death of a military service member who has been issued plates the surviving spouse of that service member may retain the plate so long as that spouse is a resident of Illinois and transfers the registration to his or her name within 180 days of the death of the service member".
Standard License Plates
- Newly acquired vehicle/first-time issuance - $301 ($150 title fee + $151 registration fee)
- Currently titled vehicle/first-time issuance - $151 ($151 registration fee)
- Current plates expire within 90 days - $151 ($151 registration fee)
- Current plates do not expire within 90 days - $0
- Annual renewal - $151 ($151 registration fee)
- One must provide a legible copy of a DD214 (discharge from military service) or a letter verification from the Illinois Department of Veterans' Affairs or the federal government verifying receipt of the Silver Star.
- The request can only be processed in Springfield. Apply in person or mail the proper documentation to:
Secretary of State
501 S. 2nd St.
Howlett Building, Room 541
Springfield, Illinois 62756
- Silver Star license plates are multi-year and may be displayed on passenger vehicles, trucks and vans weighing 8,000 pounds or less and sport utility vehicles.
- Eligible for Benefit Access Program