Navy Service Cross License Plates License Plates Guide
Navy Service Cross License Plates may be issued to any Illinois resident who has been awarded the Service Cross by the Navy. A surviving spouse also may obtain and/or retain a set of these plates.
Public Act 625 ILCS 5/3-506 allows transfer of plates to spouses of military service members. "Upon the death of a military service member who has been issued plates the surviving spouse of that service member may retain the plate so long as that spouse is a resident of Illinois and transfers the registration to his or her name within 180 days of the death of the service member".
Standard License Plates
- Newly acquired vehicle/first-time issuance - $301 ($150 title fee + $151 registration fee)
- Currently titled vehicle/first-time issuance - $151 ($151 registration fee)
- Current plates expire within 90 days - $151 ($151 registration fee)
- Current plates do not expire within 90 days - $0
- Annual renewal - $151 ($151 registration fee)
- A photocopy of DD214 (discharge from military service) indicating receipt of the Service Cross or a letter from the Department of Veterans' Affairs or the federal government verifying service is required.
- The request can only be processed in Springfield. Apply in person or mail the proper documentation to:
Secretary of State
501 S. 2nd St.
Howlett Building, Room 541
Springfield, Illinois 62756
- Navy Service Cross License are multi-year and may be displayed on passenger vehicles, trucks and vans weighing 8,000 pounds or less and sport utility vehicles.
- Eligible for Benefit Access Program