Retired Armed Forces License Plates Guide
Retired Armed Forces License Plates may be issued to any Illinois resident who is retired from any branch of the U.S. Armed Forces.
Public Act 625 ILCS 5/3-506 allows transfer of plates to spouses of military service members. "Upon the death of a military service member who has been issued plates the surviving spouse of that service member may retain the plate so long as that spouse is a resident of Illinois and transfers the registration to his or her name within 180 days of the death of the service member".
Standard License Plates
- Newly acquired vehicle/first-time issuance - $301 ($150 title fee + $151 registration fee)
- Currently titled vehicle/first-time issuance - $151 ($151 registration fee)
- Current plates expire within 90 days - $101 ($101 registration fee + $0 replacement fee)
- Current plates do not expire within 90 days - $0 ($0 replacement fee)
- Annual renewal - $151 ($151 registration fee)
- One must provide a DD214 verifying full retirement status. Members of the Armed Forces Reserves or Illinois National Guard who have not reached the age of 60 must submit a copy of their DD214 and documentation showing transfer to retired status.
- The request can only be processed in Springfield. Apply in person or mail the proper documentation to:
Secretary of State
501 S. 2nd St.
Howlett Building, Room 541
Springfield, Illinois 62756
- Retired Armed Forces license plates are multi-year and may be displayed on passenger vehicles, trucks and vans weighing 8,000 pounds or less and sport utility vehicles.
- Eligible for Benefit Access Program