Afghanistan Campaign Medal License Plates Guide
The Afghanistan Campaign Medal license plates may be issued to any Illinois resident who has been awarded the Afghanistan Campaign Medal from the U.S. Armed Forces.
Public Act 625 ILCS 5/3-506 allows transfer of plates to spouses of military service members. "Upon the death of a military service member who has been issued plates the surviving spouse of that service member may retain the plate so long as that spouse is a resident of Illinois and transfers the registration to his or her name within 180 days of the death of the service member".
*For any electric vehicle that would like a Afghanistan Campaign Medal license plate on their vehicle there will be an additional $100 surcharge to the registration.
Standard License Plates
- Newly acquired vehicle/first-time issuance - $306 ($155 title fee + $151 registration fee)
- Currently titled vehicle/first-time issuance - $151 ($151 registration fee)
- Current plates expire within 90 days - $101 ($101 registration fee + $0 replacement fee)
- Current plates do not expire within 90 days - $0 ( $0 replacement fee)
- Annual renewal - $151 ($151 registration fee)
- One must provide a photocopy of DD214 (discharge from military service) verifying receipt of the Afghanistan Campaign Medal or a letter of verification from the Department of Veterans’ Affairs or the federal government showing applicant's service record.
The request can only be processed in Springfield. Apply in person or mail the proper documentation to:
Secretary of State
501 S. 2nd St.
Howlett Building, Room 541
Springfield, Illinois 62756
- Afghanistan Campaign Medal license plates are multi-year and may be displayed on passenger vehicles, trucks and vans weighing 8,000 pounds or less and sport utility vehicles.
- Eligible for Benefit Access Program