Electric Vehicle License Plates Guide
Definition (625 ILCS 5/12-805): Beginning on January 1, 2020, the registration fee for Electric vehicles shall be equal to the fee set forth in Section 3-806 for motor vehicles of the first division, other than Autocycles, Motorcycles, Motor Driven Cycles, and Pedacycles. In addition to the registration fees, the Secretary shall assess an additional $100 per year in lieu of the payment of motor fuel taxes. $1 of the additional fees shall be deposited into the Secretary of State Special Services Fund and the remainder of the additional fees shall be deposited into the Road Fund. (Source: P.A. 101-32, eff. 6-28-19.)
FeesRandom-Number Electric Vehicle License Plates
- Newly acquired vehicle/first-time issuance - $401 ($150 title fee + $251 registration fee)
- Currently titled vehicle/first-time issuance - $251 ($251 registration fee)
- Current plates expire within 90 days - $280 ($251 registration fee + $29 replacement fee)
- Current plates do not expire within 90 days - $280 ($251 registration fee + $29 replacement fee)
- Annual renewal - $251
- The following documentation must be submitted to the Secretary of State’s office along with the Affirmation for Electric Vehicle:
- Application Vehicle Transaction (VSD 190);
- Appropriate tax forms and fees payable to the Illinois Department of Revenue;
- Applicable fee payable to the Secretary of State;
- And if a converted vehicle, submit photographs of the front, back and side of the vehicle along with photographs of the electric motor and battery.
- The request can only be processed in Springfield. Mail all required documentation and the applicable fees to:
Secretary of State
Special Plates Division
501 S. Second St., Rm. 413
Springfield, Illinois 62756
- There are two types of electric vehicles: originally manufactured electric vehicle and a converted electric vehicle.
Note: for a converted vehicle, submit photographs of the front, back and side of the vehicle along with photographs of the electric motor and battery.
- Not eligible for Benefit Access Program
- Electric Vehicle license plates can be renewed by mail or visit a Secretary of State Facility.