Illinois State Capitol Tours Physical Services
Large groups (15 or more people) who wish to schedule a tour of the Capitol Building are encouraged to contact the Springfield Convention and Visitors Bureau at 800-545-7300.
Tour groups consisting of 14 or fewer people may contact Tatyana Shlyak in the Secretary of State Physical Services Department at 217-782-2099 or email@example.com.
Masks are recommended but not required by members of the public entering the buildings.
When touring the Capitol, please allow extra time for the following security procedures to ensure you are not late for your tour:
- Tour group leaders must check in with the security guard upon arrival.
- Students must be accompanied by an adult.
- Bags are subject to search and backpacks are discouraged.
- Metal detectors may be used.
- Pocket knives will be confiscated.
Persons with Disabilities
Springfield Convention and Visitors Bureau personnel are trained to use a relay messenger service for booking tours with persons who are deaf or hard of hearing. To access a relay messenger service, please call 711 and give the operator the phone number for the Convention Bureau (800-545-7300).
If any member of your group has a disability that might interfere with his or her enjoyment of the tour, please let the Convention Bureau know when you are making your reservation. The Secretary of State's office attempts to accommodate all persons or groups with special needs, but cannot guarantee such service without advance notice.
- A printed version of the tour script is available for persons with hearing disabilities.
- A large-print version of the tour is available, as well as a Braille version. Service animals are allowed in the Capitol.
- The information desk has one wheelchair available for use by a person who wishes to tour the Capitol.
- Individuals who find it difficult to walk or stand for a long period of time should notify their tour guide so most of the tour information can be provided while the tour group is seated.
- A accessible entrance is available at the east and west side of the Capitol (see map).
- Inside the Capitol, most of the doors leading into rooms or offices are equipped with automatic doors.
- Parking spaces for persons with disabilities are available in the Capitol Complex Visitor's Center parking lot on Edwards Street, southwest of the Stratton Building (see map).
- All elevators in the Capitol are accessible. Elevators are located in the Capitol rotunda and off the north and south hallways, near the exits. An elevator also is located in the first-floor Senate Democrat office (off of Room 103), which provides access to the mezzanine tier of offices for Democratic Senators. All elevators contain Braille boards.
- Brochures and Information about the Capitol are located next to the Tours/Information office, Room 107.
For more information on services for persons with disabilities, please call the Secretary of State's office at 312-814-3676 or write to:
Secretary of State
Physical Services Department
501 S. Second St., Rm. 034
Springfield, IL 62756