Public Library Construction Grant Program Illinois State Library
The Office of the Secretary of State and the Illinois State Library are charged with administering two public library construction programs: the Live and Learn Construction Grant Program, and the Public Library Construction Act Grant Program. Each program operates under a separate set of rules unique to the statutory charge of the program, and each is applied for individually. A library cannot apply for both programs in the same award year. Following is an overview of the main characteristics of each program.
Live and Learn Construction Grant Program
- Funded by an annual state legislative appropriation.
- Awarded by the Secretary based on recommendations received from a statewide committee following their review process.
- Appropriate for libraries that are interested in: Remodeling for accessibility, Mini-Grants, or new construction, additions to and/or remodeling of existing buildings.
- Grant awards and ranges depend on the program applied for and the match amount, if required.
- FY 2022 applications are due on January 15, 2022.
- Applications must be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about this public library construction grant program, visit the Live and Learn Construction Grant Program website.
Public Library Construction Act Grant Program
- Funded by the sale of state bonds.
- Appropriate for libraries that are interested in major construction and remodeling projects.
- Grant awards will be no greater than 75% and no less than 35% of the recognized eligible project costs as determined by the Illinois State Library.
- These awards are based on each individual library’s Grant Index which is calculated using a mathematical formula included in the legislation.
- The remaining project costs will be a local responsibility.
- Legislation that authorized this program was P.A. 96-37.
- Applications are due April 15 and must be submitted electronically to email@example.com.
For more information about this public library construction grant program, visit the Public Library Construction Act Grant Program website.
For more information about public library construction grants, you may call 800-665-5576, Option 2 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.