Braille and Audio Reading Download Illinois State Library
Braille and Audio Reading Download (BARD)
BARD is a free Braille and Audio Reading Download service for active Talking Book Patrons with the National Library Service for the Blind and Print Disabled. There are over 40,000 books, magazines, and music scores in audio and braille formats available for download from the site, with new selections added frequently.
To register for a BARD account, you must first review the criteria for participation by reading the BARD application instructions and, if you qualify, request an account.
BARD Mobile enables NLS patrons to download audio and braille books, magazines, and music scores directly to their iOS, Android and Kindle Fire devices provided they have a BARD account. If your device is connected to a refreshable braille display through Bluetooth, you can also read the braille materials available on BARD.
Use of BARD Mobile is restricted to eligible NLS patrons, who have a BARD account.
Download BARD Mobile App
- Download the BARD Mobile App for iOS Devices (iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch)
- Download the BARD Mobile App for Android Devices (Android smartphone or tablet)
Notes on Using BARD Mobile
- Once you download the free app, sign in with your BARD user name and password. You will only need to do this the first time you use the app. The BARD Mobile app will remember your BARD user credentials.
- Books and magazines can be quite large to download (50MB - 200MB), so be sure to manage downloads carefully, especially if you have a limited data plan. You can set BARD Mobile to only download over wi-fi.
BARD Mobile App Help and User Guides
The National Library Service for the Blind and Print Disabled has prepared user guides for both the iOS and Android versions of the BARD Mobile app. Help features are also provided within each app.
- BARD Mobile How-To Video Series
- BARD Mobile Application User Guide for iOS
- BARD Mobile Application User Guide for Android
BARD Express is a free downloadable Windows-based software application designed to simplify searching for, downloading, and transferring audio titles from the BARD website to a cartridge or external USB flash drive for playback in a digital player.
BARD Express is available for use by eligible NLS patrons. You must have an established BARD account, with a user name and password, to use BARD Express.
- BARD-specific questions may be answered by the BARD online instructions and FAQs, or if not, you may contact NLS at NLSDownload@loc.gov.
- Specific questions about your commercial machine may be answered by your machine’s user guide or information provided on the manufacturer's website.
- For specific questions about the NLS Digital Talking Book Machine call us at 800−426−0709.