Safe Driver Renewal Driver Services
Secretary White congratulates you for qualifying for this program by keeping a clean driving record for the past four years.
To Renew Online as a Safe Driver
- You must have your renewal form, which contains your renewal authorization number.
- You will need to first follow the paragraph below, if you have an Address Change.
- You must have a checking account or a valid Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express credit card.
- A payment processor fee will be assessed to all credit card transactions.
- The processor payment fee for echecks is being waived.
- Your renewed driver's license will be delivered to your address on file with the Office within 15 business days. If your license is returned by the postal service for any reason, you will be required to appear at a Secretary of State facility and present acceptable identification documents to verify your residence address.
Change of Address
If your address has changed since you received your renewal notice you must complete an online change of address prior to continuing your Safe Driver renewal. Simply complete your address change and return to the "Safe Driver Renewal" page.
Your renewed driver's license will be delivered to your address on file with the Office within 15 business days. If your license is returned by the postal service for any reason, you will be required to appear at a Secretary of State facility and present acceptable identification documents to verify your residence address.
Your application for a Safe Driver Renewal is an affirmation that you have read the renewal application letter and no situation exists that would make you ineligible to lawfully apply for a driver's license and that all information submitted by you is true and correct.
A "VETERAN" designation may be placed on the face of an Illinois driver's license or ID card at the request of the card applicant with proper documentation. The applicant must have received an honorable discharge from any branch of the U.S. military, served as a reservist or member of the National Guard, or retired from the U.S. Military. For more information call or vist the Veteran Designation driver's license section.
If you are interested in obtaining a REAL ID compliant driver’s license (DL) or ID card, you MUST visit a Secretary of State facility to make the initial application. The Safe Driver online renewal option cannot be issued as a REAL ID compliant credential. For more information regarding REAL ID and requirements; visit REAL ID.
For questions regarding Safe Driver Renewal, please call 217-782-6212.
First time here? Check out the Frequently Asked Questions