Commercial Driver's License (CDL) - Proof of Legal Presence Driver Services

Effective July 1, 2015, when a CDL Holder or CLP applicant visits a facility for initial issuance, renewal, transfer or upgrade, the driver will be required to show proof of legal presence and domicile. This is a one-time requirement for the CDL holder or CLP applicant, who is a US Citizen or Lawful Permanent resident.

Proof of Legal Presence requires one of the following documents from the appropriate category:

US Citizen (C) Lawful Permanent Resident (L) Non-domiciled Resident (N)
  • U.S. Passport (unexpired)
  • U.S. Birth Certificate*
  • Puerto Rico Birth Certificate
  • Virgin Islands (U.S.) Birth Certificate*
  • Guam Birth Certificate*
  • American Samoa Birth Certificate*
  • Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands Birth Certificate*
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) issued by US State Department
  • Certificate of Naturalization issued by US DHS (N550)
  • Certificate of Citizenship issued by US DHS (N600)
  • U.S. Passport Card (unexpired)
  • Permanent Resident Card issued by USCIS or INS (I-551)
  • Unexpired Employment Authorization Document (EAD) issued by USCIS (I-766)
  • Unexpired foreign passport accompanied by an approved I-94 form documenting the applicant’s most recent admittance into the United States.

The documents noted with the asterisk (*) must be certified with the official raised seal. All other documents must be the original, official document. No copies will be accepted.

There are additional acceptable identification documents required to prove your residency, name, social security number and signature. If you are a new Illinois CLP/CDL applicant or a current holder that needs to change one of these items, please see Acceptable Identification for more information.

Per 49 CFR 383.23, the Secretary of State cannot issue a non-domiciled CLP or CDL to a Mexican or Canadian citizen. A citizen of either of these countries must obtain their CDL from their country of citizenship or obtain U.S. citizenship or lawful permanent residency status