LLC Articles of Amendment Business Services
- A name-change amendment may be filed online and will be processed within the time frame chosen by the filer. Non-expedited service will be reviewed within 10 days of submission. Expedited service submissions will be reviewed for compliance within 24 hours (excluding weekends and holidays).
- The name of an administratively dissolved Illinois limited liability company is not available for use by another LLC or Corporation until three years have elapsed following the date of issuance of the notice of dissolution.
- In order to effect a name change online, the limited liability company:
- must be an Illinois limited liability company;
- must be in good standing;
- may not be authorized to establish series; and
- does not require a post-effective date.
- Companies that cannot file a name-change amendment online:
- were organized under a jurisdiction other than the State of Illinois;
- are not in good standing;
- are authorized to establish series;
- desire a post-effective date; or
- must execute the report through the use of “layered signatures” or by power of attorney.
- Only amendments effecting the name change of a domestic limited liability company can be filed online. Articles of Amendment seeking to make any other change must be filed by using LLC-5.25.
- Payment of fees due in connection with the online filing of a name change amendment may be made by using a Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express credit card.
- Payment of all fees due is required during the electronic filing process. If payment is ultimately denied, the filing of the Articles of Amendment effecting the name change will be voided and the event treated as though never occurring, thus immediately placing the company in delinquent status.
Processing and Acknowledgement
Once you have submitted the name-change amendment, you will receive an email acknowledging receipt by the Secretary of State. A non-expedited service request will be reviewed and a second email response sent within 10 days of your submission. An expedited service request will be reviewed and a second email response given within 24 hours, excluding weekends and holidays. If the name change is approved, the second email will contain a link to the filed document.
If, however, the review reveals that the proposed new name is not available for use or that some other defect exists, you will be notified of the matter by email and the charge will be reversed.
For more information, please call 217-524-8008, Mon.-Fri., 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. (central time).
All forms pertaining to the filing requirements of the Illinois Limited Liability Company Act can be obtained from the Limited Liability Company publications section.