Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD) System Illinois State Archives
Wabash County Courthouse
401 Market St.
Mt. Carmel, IL 62863
618-262-4561 – County Clerk
618-262-5362 – Circuit Clerk
618-262-4561 – Recorder
600 Lincoln Ave.
Eastern Illinois University
Charleston, IL 61920
- December 27, 1824 (Laws, 1824, p. 25)
Origin of the name of the county
- Named for the Wabash River which forms the eastern boundary of the county and derives its name from the Indian word Oubache (pronounced wáw bash, wáa bash).
Present area, or parts of it, formerly included in
- 1815–1824 – Edwards
- 1812–1815 – Gallatin
- 1809–1812 – Randolph
- 1790–1809 – Knox, Northwest Territory
- 1825–1829 – Centreville
- 1829–present – Mt. Carmel
History of county governing board
- 1824–1849 – County Commissioners’ Court
- 1849–1873 – County Court
- 1873–present – Board of County Commissioners
Documented Record Losses
- April 5, 1857 – Fire. Most records lost (1824–1857).
- Wabash County has never adopted township form of government. The county has been divided into precincts.
- Lick Prairie
- Mt. Carmel