Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD) System Illinois State Archives
Peoria County Courthouse
324 Main St.
Peoria, IL 61602
309-672-6059 – County Clerk
309-672-6000 – Circuit Clerk
309-672-6090 – Recorder
Western Illinois University
1 University Circle
Macomb, IL 61455-1390
- January 13, 1825 (Laws, 1825, p. 85)
Origin of the name of the county
- Named for the Indian tribe called the Peorias, one of the tribes from the Illinois confederacy.
Present area, or parts of it, formerly included in
- 1823–1825 – Fulton
- 1821–1823 – Pike
- 1817–1821 – Bond
- 1812–1821 – Madison
- 1801–1812 – St. Clair
- 1825–present – Peoria
History of county governing board
- 1825–1850 – County Commissioners’ Court
- 1850–present – County Board of Supervisors
- Adopted – November 6, 1849
- City of Peoria – Organized in December, 1907, from parts of the original township of Peoria and Richwoods.
- Kickapoo – Name changed from Orange (date unknown, probably 1850).
- Medina – Name changed from Franklin (date unknown, probably 1850).
- Radnor – Name changed from Benton to Fremont and then to Radnor (dates unknown, probably 1850).
- Richwoods – Part of Richwoods was given to Town of the City of Peoria when it was organized in 1907.
- West Peoria – Designation given to that part of the original township of Peoria not given to the Town of the City of Peoria in 1907. (See City of Peoria above.)