Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD) System Illinois State Archives
Macoupin County Courthouse
201 E. Main St.
Carlinville, IL 62626
217-854-3214 – County Clerk
217-854-3211 – Circuit Clerk
217-854-3214 – Recorder
University of Illinois at Springfield
One University Plaza, MS BRK 140
Springfield IL 62703-5407
- January 17, 1829 (Laws, 1829, p. 26)
Origin of the name of the county
- Named for Macoupin Creek which flows through the county and is derived from the Indian word for the water lilies that grew along the creek. The tubers of the water lilies were a food source for the Indians. Macoupina, which means “white potato,” is the name the Indians gave to the wild artichoke which grew in profusion along the streams.
Present area, or parts of it, formerly included in
- 1825–1829 – Madison
- 1821–1829 – Greene
- 1812–1821 – Madison
- 1790–1812 – St. Clair
- 1829–present – Carlinville
History of county governing board
- 1829–1849 – County Commissioners’ Court
- 1849–1871 – County Court
- 1871–present – County Board of Supervisors
- Adopted – November 1, 1870
- Brushy Mound
- Bunker Hill
- Girard – Formed from Virden (date unknown, before 1921).
- Honey Point
- Mt. Olive – Formed from Staunton (date unknown, before 1921).
- North Otter
- North Palmyra
- Shaws Point
- South Otter
- South Palmyra – Name changed from Palmyra (date unknown).
- Western Mound