An Ongoing Project of the Illinois State Archives and the Illinois State Genealogical Society
Entering Search Criteria
Enter the groom's or bride's name in the format: last name comma space first name space middle initial (for example, Smith, John D). The first name and middle initial may be omitted to accomplish a surname search. Searches are not case sensitive: you may use any combination of upper and lower case letters. The following types of searches may be conducted:
- Enter a groom's name only to return a list of marriages for the groom you enter.
- Enter a bride's name only to return a list of marriages for the bride you enter.
- Enter the groom's and bride's names to return a list of marriages meeting both criteria.
- Use the location option box with any of the above search methods to designate a STATEWIDE search or a search limited to one county.
More information about how to obtain copies of original marriage records.
View a list of counties and date spans included in the Illinois Statewide Marriage Index.
Tips on Using the Illinois Statewide Marriage Index
- Remember to scroll to the right of the results screen to view all of the data for each marriage.
- To print the list of marriages from the results screen, set your printer's page orientation to landscape.
- Illinois marriages were not required to be performed in the county of the bride's or groom's residence. If your search does not find a marriage in the county you expected it to occur, try selecting STATEWIDE in the location option box.